Internet searches really tell a great deal on where you culture stands. Recently, Yahoo did a Year in Review 2008, which revealed the top 10 searches of 2008. Buckle your seatbelts, because this will be a bumpy review.
- 8 out of 10 have to do with entertainers. Half of the top are female entertainers. Our culture is not dominated by entertainment at all…I know, right.
- The top search was Britney Spears…Britney Spears! Really? My IQ just dropped.
- Out of the other 2, that may not be considered entertainment, one was an online game – Naruto, and the other was a political figure – Barack Obama. So, basically, out of the top 10, only one has any historical significance, or any significance for that matter.
- The top 10 consisted of 4 female entertainers under the age of 28, an online game, a disney channel star – Miley Cyrus, and a cartoon. What does this tell you? It tells you that the internet is dominated by…YOUNG PEOPLE!
- I’m curious where the Bible, God, and Jesus Christ rank in the search. We know our students are searching for something, but the top searches in this article have no spiritual value whatsoever. So here is your challenge youth workers and youth pastors – Make a relationshipship with Jesus Christ the top search in your youth ministry. The question is, how will you accomplish this challenge?