Yes. It is true. Visitors should not stay visitors for very long. You should know their name, get to know them, and invite them back…and sometimes, if you do it right, they will!
- Day of: Leaders & students (student leaders especially) welcome the student. Exchange names, link up with similar ages & gender, and encourage interaction. Have the welcome team get their information for follow-up, as non-confronting or embarrassing as possible.
- Have something to give them that day. Whether it be a prize or candy or whatever…as Bob Barker would say “Don’t send them home empty-handed”.
- 1-2 Days Later: Pastor or leader should send out a welcome email/facebook/letter. Make this quick, don’t wait until the student forgot where they were on Sunday or Wednesday night. Also, send out the welcome packet as soon as possible.
- Welcome email/letter – includes a nice note, parent packet, ministry information, and contact information
- Welcome packet – includes visitor packet, cover letter, and some sort of prize/gadget/pet…be creative, don’t make me tell you everything.
- 3-5 Days Later: Follow-up phone call
How do you do it? I’d love to hear ways you have been successful at getting rid of the “visitor tag”.