Author: Francis Chan
This book is a response to the recent argument in theological circles that hell is not a literal place. Many struggle with the idea of hell, and for good reason, it is not a pleasant place. How could a loving God send someone there? Do those sent there truly spend eternity there? The answers to these questions should be life-changing…because if hell truly is a real place and is an eternal place of torment, wouldn’t we do everything we can do stop people from going there?!?
Disclaimer: Francis Chan is one of my favorite speakers/authors out there. His book “Crazy Love” literally was life-changing in my life. That being said, I will do my best not to allow that bias or fandom to enter my evaluation.
What I liked:
- 1. No IMHO – These are not opinions in this book. Each subject or question about hell uses Scriptural support. And not just one passage, but many to support each claim made.
- 2. Convicting – The description of hell and its everlasting qualities convict you. Without ruining the findings, you leave these pages convicted that the world needs to hear about Jesus.
- 3. Cherry on top – At the end of the book, following compelling arguments and deep Biblical study…the gospel message is given. Very appropriate.
What I didn’t like:
- 1. Anybody got a pen? – With any Francis Chan book, it is such an easy read that I often forget to soak in the ideas and concepts. I end up reading to quickly wanting to get to the next page. I realize being a page-turner is not a weakness…but you are warned: have your pen ready.
- 2. Advertisement at the end – Thought the advertisement for his previous book wasn’t needed at the end. A page or two maybe, but to do the whole sneak peek thing…eh.
Recommendation: A must read. It wrestled with the aspects of hell fairly and Scripturally. A good reminder for any preacher…for any Christian!