The popular Bible app YouVersion recently blogged about the top 10 Bible verses of 2011. I found it quite interesting, and thought I would dive a little deeper behind the verses. Maybe we can find some insight about humanity, about our culture, or maybe you just love lists like myself. Here are the 10 verses:
- Philippians 4:6
- Proverbs 3:5
- Jeremiah 29:11
- Romans 12:2
- Philippians 4:13
- Philippians 4:7
- Proverbs 3:6
- Romans 8:28
- Matthew 6:33
- 1 Corinthians 13:4
- Mr. Philippians is popular these days.
- People are looking for verses of comfort and peace during hard times.
- Many different versions were used, and no animals were harmed.
- Several verses were about God’s plans or will – something that Christians want to know for their life.
- Trust was at the heart of many of these verses.
- Prayer was a central theme in several popular passages.
- Only 30% were Old Testament, and 2 of those were Proverbs.
- Where is John 3:16?
- Anybody else notice something is missing…THE GOSPEL MAYBE? Interesting. Sin would be another topic on the back of the milk carton.
- Speaking of missing persons. Where is Jesus in these verses?
Not trying to read too much into this, but I did find it interesting what the most popular verses are, and where Bible-readers want to go most often. Looks like they would rather be comforted than discuss their sin, would rather think of God than think of the Savior…or Why does the book of Philippians resound so well with this generation of people? Maybe people just need a little more joy and encouragement.
What are your observations? Remember, this is all speculation, so calm down if you think I’m reading into this too much.