If you are in ministry, these are some vacation ideas that I learned over the past few years that have helped me refresh, relax, and re-energize over vacation. 3 point alliteration, what pastor didn’t just love that last sentence?
- Unplug/Throw Your Phone – Even if you have an iPhone or the like, don’t take it to the pool. One, phones don’t like water. And two, even if you want that high score in Temple Run, you will see those emails get past the 50 mark, and you might not be able to resist.
- Choose Your Reading Carefully – I made the mistake of bringing ministry related reading on vacation. So while I was reading about youth ministry, what do you think I was thinking about reading it? Big mistake. You can bring spiritual reading, just not ministry-related. That was a big help for me to let my mind relax.
- Don’t Talk Shop – While there may be major issues or stories you want to share, but try to keep ministry talk at a minimum. Talk about life, that huge alligator that almost ate your golf ball, how cool you feel when you find a shark’s tooth, and other important stuff.
- Family Time – Soak it up. Don’t allow the computer, having NFL network in your room, or any other distraction get in your way of spending major time and care on your family.
- Buy yourself a nice dress – Or shirt, or slacks (anyone say slacks anymore, because I love to say slacks). This is vacation, so go out to dinner, buy yourself an outfit, go golfing. I’m not saying to spend like Bill Gates at a Best Buy, but enjoy the blessings God has given you.
Now you’ve read the best blog out there, so get off your computer and go do a cannonball in the pool.