Last week, we kicked off the Evangelism blog series with Trying Something New in Evangelism. Evangelism must be an integral part of any student or youth ministry. But where do you start? In the next few weeks, I’ll be presenting ideas, recommendations, and evaluations of evangelism resources that may help revitalize student’s passion, training, and execution of personal evangelism in their lives. Let’s begin with the evaluation of evangelism training curriculum…here are a few I have used in the past:
Contagious Christian (Youth Edition)
- Helped the teen understand their evangelistic style – confrontational, intellectual, testimonial, interpersonal, invitational, & serving
- Eliminated excused based on characteristics or weaknesses of student
- Promoted the use of testimony in witnessing
- Weak on developing a evangelism method/gospel presentation
- Teens struggled to put material into practice
Recommendation: This would act as a good complement to Evangelism training, but was not effective in a stand-alone series.
Evangelism Explosion (Adult Version)
- Superior evangelism method training/gospel presentation
- Develops a consistent, usable witness script
- Provides valuable illustrations and clarification points for non-believer conversations
The Bad: (more difficult, than bad)
- Length – 13 week session, which includes memorization & visitation
Recommendation: For ready-to-work, mature students, it is highly recommended for evangelism training
Everyone Matters (Simply Youth Ministry)
- Good utilization and development of testimony
- Fair assessment and explanation of the evangelism process, very real & honest
- Brief – example would be the Gospel explanation is one session.
- Does not contain a strong evangelism method training
Recommendation: Provides a good introduction to evangelism, but not enough content for complete training.
2nd Greatest Story Ever Told (Simply Youth Ministry/Doug Fields)
- Fits well in a mission training context
- Good, practical development of student’s testimony
- Strictly used for testimony work, not evangelism training as a whole
Recommendation: Good tool in developing testimony, not complete evangelism training.