Remember that children’s song, “My God is So Big”.
What incredible truth. My God is so big, so strong and so mighty…but our world does not operate according to that philosophy. And sadly, we, as believers, often fail to exist under this truth as well. Let me just start with what our world thinks. Our world would like you to think that you are number one; you are strong enough to handle anything, “you take care of you” type philosophy. A philosophy as if you are gods…others should treat you this way, you deserve the very best, and you are the most important. Let me just give you a few examples from our culture that I found in a quick search using the Google machine…
- Hip Hop Recording Artist Kanye West recently recorded a song called “I am a god”. When asked about the song, he said “I just told you who I thought I was: A god. I just told you. That’s who I think I am.”
- Other songs like “It’s MY life” – Bon Jovi & “I, Me, Mine” by the Beatles
- If you’re not happy about how you look, you have to question how much self-love you have. – Actor & Model Tyrese Gibson
- I have an everyday religion that works for me. Love yourself first, and everything else falls into line. – Lucille Ball
- You’ve got to love yourself first. You’ve got to be okay on your own before you can be okay with somebody else. – Actor & Singer Jennifer Lopez
- Then you have advertisements: “Have it YOUR way.” “Because YOU’RE worth it”. “Obey YOUR Thirst”
- One “inspiration” quote I read even said “No one is going to love you if you don’t love yourself”. Whoa!
Quote after quote I read from celebrities that said “Love yourself, love yourself, love yourself”. Where are they getting this philosophy? The world is telling us that we are gods (little g-o-d-s), when in actuality they are right in pronunciation, but wrong in their grammar and practice. We Are God’s (capital G-o-d apostrophe s). You get it?
This world needs a wake-up call. We need the reminder. We are not to be treated like gods. God is to be treated like God. People often treat themselves like a god, rather than realizing “My God is so Big”, He is God, and He is Lord.