Every 4 years in our youth group, we host an Olympic Games. Before you think this is just an athletic competition, check this out. This weekend is for everyone and each person on the team can contribute and have a great time.
Below is the schedule & events. Enjoy!
Leaders arrive: Set-up – Gym Games, Tables setup for eating
Students Arrive & Dinner Served
Gym Games Begin: Around-the-World Ping Pong, Basketball Knockout, Finders Keepers
Devotional (short, but gospel-driven) – Next Week – FREE Olympic devotional on the blog
Instructions/Sign-ups for Water Games: Teams sign up for water games quickly. Instruct teens about NO Horseplay. Respect of property, listen to lifeguard, no dunking underwater. Safety.
Arrival at Pool (YMCA does pool rentals) & Change into Suits
Begin Water Games
- Noodle Race – Race down to one end while riding noodle. Noodle must be between legs the duration of race.
- Splash Contest – One person per team. Based on splash size & creativity.
- Genie in a Bottle – Students spread out around area of pool. Teens turn around & close eyes. Leader hides the 2 liter bottle in pool (filled up with water). 1st person to find-wins points for team.
- Belly Flop Contest – No explanation needed, right?
- Pearl Diver – 30 Seconds to dive and get as many coins as possible. Record $ amount of find, points awarded based on $ retrieved in the 30 seconds.
- Underwater Talk – 2 Team members. Leader gives the topic to the team, and the word to only one team member. Team member shares word under water. If team gets it – points awarded. (2 tries per team) Example – Topic: Food Word: Cheeseburger
- Best Swimmer – Race to the finish. Extra 100 points if you beat Pastor Jeff
- Synchronized Swimming – Each team must come up with a routine. Judged on presentation, creativity, & of course synchronization.
- (If Time) Water Polo – Goals are trash cans or bowling pins. NO dunking or put into “penalty box”. 2 small time periods. Winner of 2 games plays for championship.
Parents pick up at Church
Optional: Sunday/Youth Night – Do a Game Show/Quiz Night for Final Competition & Prizes (Encourages visitors and those attending Olympics to come back!)