In the timeline of Mark, Jesus had just got done sleeping on the very first water bed in the bottom of the boat…before calming the storm. (Get it, because there was water in the bottom of the boat, and Jesus was sleeping, oh forget it.) He then steps off the boat and is immediately greeted by a demon possessed man.
This man had incredible strength – no chains or shackled could hold them down. It says these metal restrains were broken into pieces. Dude was strong. This poor man suffered day & night – crying out and cutting himself with stones
Just like earlier in Mark (1:24), we see the order of power. These demons knew right away who Jesus was, and declared His deity. The demons, who Jesus was calling out, asked Jesus’ permission to enter the pigs.
Verses 15, 18 – Look at the contrast here. This man goes from screaming & cutting himself to asking to follow Jesus. I love it. He was so excited to be free, he wanted to follow Jesus wherever he went. He was like, “Where can I get an application to be a disciple?” “Hey Peter, scoot over…John you mind if I sit there?” Then Jesus said, “Whoa, whoa…now hold on a minute”…obviously appreciating his new enthusiasm. And then gives the demon possessed-man some basic instructions.
Jesus’ Basic Instructions
Here’s what I want you to see…Look who Jesus sends out with the Good News:
- A man who was possessed by thousands of demons.
- A man who was out of his mind
- A man who would scream day and night, cutting himself with stones in a graveyard
- He was an outcast to society
And what does Jesus tell him to do? Go tell the people of this city how the Lord has changed you from the inside-out. Tell others about God’s mercy. And when this man told others about these things…what happened? At the end of our passage – it says people “marveled”.
3 things to remember from this passage:
- Never underestimate a life changed by Jesus. No matter who you are, what you have done…God can use you to do MARVELOUS things.
- Never doubt a life can’t be changed by the “Son of Most High”. The change is remarkable, people will notice, and God can change anyone He wants to.
- If Jesus told a demon-possessed man to be the carrier of Good News…what does that mean for us. These basic instructions of “Tell others about how your life has changed and share about His mercy”. These are instructions for us too, and we need to be sharing, and watch other marvel at the Good News.